Role within the CfCWR
Dr Harrison is working on the SIFTI-2 project.
Other positions held
- Member of the Birmingham Platelet Group
- Editor in Chief of the international journal Platelets
- Board member of the International Council for Standardization in Haematology (ICSH)
- Trustee for the Platelet Society
- He is a Past-President of the British Society of Haemostasis & Thrombosis (BSHT) and a Past-Chairman of the International Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis (ISTH) Platelet Physiology Scientific and standardization committee
- In 2010 Paul was featured as one of the top 100 healthcare scientists in the UK by the Department of Health
- BSc (Hons) Biochemistry (toxicology), University of Surrey
- PhD (Biochemistry), University of London
- Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists (FRCPath)
- Qualified Research technician and Clinical Scientist
Inflammation and Ageing University Laboratory, New Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham & Cardiovascular Research, Institute of Biomedical Research, University of Birmingham Medical School.
Paul Harrison has 38 years of experience in laboratories. His first degree was in Biochemistry from the University of Surrey in 1981 and he specialised in Toxicology. After working as a Clinical Biochemist for 2 years he started his research career in Haemostasis and Thrombosis at St. Thomas’s Hospital Medical School in the Coagulation Research Department and obtained his PhD in 1988 from the University of London. After 10 years at St.Thomas’s he then became a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Oklahoma before returning to the Haemostasis Research group as a Lecturer at University College London in 1995. In 2001 he became a Clinical Scientist and Honorary Lecturer at the Oxford Haemophilia and Thrombosis Centre at the University of Oxford. In 2013 he was appointed as the Scar Free Foundation senior lecturer at the University of Birmingham. Paul has now published over 180 papers and 25 book chapters and has a current h-index of 54. Paul is also a past President of the British Society of Haemostasis and Thrombosis and Past-chairman of the International Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis (ISTH) Platelet Physiology Scientific and standardization committee. His major research interests are platelets, extracellular vesicles, inflammation and neutrophils, regenerative medicine, traumatic and thermal injury.
+44 (0)121 371 3251